Connect with us

NATIONAL

Twitter appointed interim Chief Compliance Officer for India, said- details will be shared with IT Ministry soon

Published

on

Twitter appointed interim Chief Compliance Officer for India, said- details will be shared with IT Ministry soon

Twitter (Photo Credits: Pixabay)

New Delhi: Twitter on Tuesday said it has appointed an interim chief compliance officer for India and will soon share the details of the officer directly with the information technology ministry. The government, in a notice given to Twitter a few days ago, said that it is given the last chance to comply with the new rules related to the Information Technology Act. He has to comply with the rules immediately. If it fails to do so, the exemption given to it from liability as an arbitral forum under the IT Act shall stand forfeited.

Along with this, he has to be ready for action under the IT Act and other penal provisions. The new guidelines have come into effect from 26 May. Following this, Twitter wrote to the government last week, assuring that it was in the final stages of appointing a chief compliance officer as per the new information technology (IT) rules and additional details would be given to the government within a week. An official source gave this information. Also read: Twitter’s response to the government’s notice – We are fully committed to India and will continue to strive to comply with the new IT laws

On Tuesday, a Twitter spokesperson said the company was making every effort to comply with the new guidelines and the information technology ministry was being informed of progress at each step of the process. He said an interim Chief Compliance Officer has been appointed and the details will be shared with the ministry soon. There have been several clashes between Twitter and the Indian government over the past few months, including during farmers’ protests. The tussle between the two also escalated when the US company tagged political posts of several leaders of the ruling party BJP as “manipulated media”, to which the Center reacted strongly.

The final clash was over compliance with IT regulations that Twitter was delaying.

In such a situation, this move of Twitter assumes significance as the microblogging site was facing a tough stand from the government due to delay in complying with IT norms. Under the new rules, large digital platforms will have to become more accountable for the content played on their platform.

Under the new rules, major social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp will be required to take additional measures. This includes appointment of Chief Compliance Officer, Nodal Officer and Grievance Officer in India etc.

(This is an unedited and auto-generated story from a syndicated news feed, likely not modified or edited by the latest staff)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NATIONAL

Uttar Pradesh: Electricity prices will not increase in UP this year, regulatory commission’s tariff released

Published

on

Uttar Pradesh: Electricity prices will not increase in UP this year, regulatory commission's tariff released

CM Yogi (Photo Credits PTI)

Lucknow: Electricity prices will not increase this time in Uttar Pradesh. Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had already announced that the electricity rate will not be increased any more. On the same lines, the Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission has issued the Tariff Order on Thursday. The Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission has rejected the proposal of regulatory surcharge along with slab change of all power companies. Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections 2022: BJP President JP Nadda gave important responsibility to 7 new Union Ministers of the state!

A full bench of Electricity Regulatory Commission Chairman RP Singh, members KK Sharma and VK Srivastava, filed Annual Revenue Requirement (ARR) for 2021-22 on behalf of the power distribution companies of the state, Annual Performance Review of 2020-21, 2019-20. On Thursday, while giving its verdict on the truth-up (difference between approved and actual expenditure) and slab change petition, issued a tariff order.

The special thing is that this year also, the liability of consumers of about Rs 1059 crore has come out on the power companies claiming regulatory assets of more than Rs 49 thousand crore. In the current government so far, electricity rates have been increased only once in the year 2019-20.

The Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission rejected all the arguments of the power companies and ruled on Thursday to keep them unchanged while not increasing the current rates of electricity. The commission has also not considered the proposals for imposition of 10-12 percent regulatory surcharge of companies and change of slabs. In such a situation, there is not going to be any additional burden on the pockets of electricity consumers, at least till the next year’s assembly elections.

In fact, the five power companies had filed ARR (Annual Revenue Requirement) of Rs 81,901 crore with the regulatory commission for the current financial year 2021-22. These companies had not made any proposal to increase the electricity rate on their behalf, but had shown a revenue gap of Rs 9663 crore, for which they were seeking an increase in electricity rates. Since only a few months are left for the assembly elections, it was already believed that the electricity rates will not increase now.

Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had also announced not to increase electricity rates. In such a situation, the power companies tried to collect more from the consumers through other avenues, but the commission scuttled their plans. The companies, showing regulatory assets of Rs 49,827 crore, not only submitted a proposal to the Commission to levy regulatory surcharge up to 10-12 percent, but also proposed to reduce the existing 80 slab to 53, so that earnings can be increased.

The Uttar Pradesh State Electricity Consumer Council, accepting the objection with legal facts on the proposals of the power companies, has given a big relief to the consumers by reducing the ARR by Rs 9938 crore as well as rejecting the proposals for surcharge and slab change. Not only this, giving a big blow to the power companies, the commission has removed the surplus of Rs 1059 crore of consumers on them, due to which there is little scope for increase in electricity rates in the next financial year as well.

In the tariff order announced by the commission’s chairman RP Singh, farmers have also been given a big relief in the tubewell bill. Now even if the meter is going to be installed in the tubewell connection, but the farmers will not have to pay the electricity bill according to the consumption readings recorded in the meter. Considering such connections of farmers as unmetered, electricity bill will be charged from them at the fixed rate of Rs 170 per horsepower.

Awadhesh Verma, president of Uttar Pradesh State Electricity Consumer Council, says that his fight has resulted in a big victory for the electricity consumers. However, to give further relief to the consumers during the Corona period, the government and the Power Corporation have not accepted the tariff proposal to reduce their electricity rates.

Verma says that Rs 19,537 crore of consumers was already coming out on power companies. In the order on Thursday, the commission has removed another Rs 1059 crore of consumers on the companies. In such a situation, now there is a surplus of Rs 20,596 crore of consumers on the companies. In order to reduce the electricity rates in lieu of surplus, the council will soon file a review petition in the commission.

Verma clearly says that the rate of electricity should not remain the same, but should be reduced. Electricity is still expensive in Uttar Pradesh compared to many other states. UP ranks second among the five states with costly electricity.

Continue Reading

NATIONAL

Bihar: Mayor of Katihar Shivraj Paswan shot dead by unknown miscreants, died on the way to hospital

Published

on

Katihar Mayor Shivraj Paswan was shot by unknown people, died

(With SocialLY get the latest breaking news, viral trends and all the news related to the world of social media. Here you will get live information about every content that is going viral on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. The post shown above is unedited content, which can be sent directly to social media. Taken from the accounts of media users. Not modified or edited by Latestly staff. Social media posts do not represent the views and sentiments of Latestly, We assume no responsibility or liability for any content contained in this post do not accept.)

Continue Reading

NATIONAL

Talking about Mekedatu dam, the new Chief Minister of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu BJP President has taken a stand against his own party’s CM Basavaraj Bommai, know the root of the controversy

Published

on

Talking about Mekedatu dam, the new Chief Minister of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu BJP President has taken a stand against his own party's CM Basavaraj Bommai, know the root of the controversy

Tamil Nadu BJP President, K Annamalai (Photo Credits: ANI, Twitter)

Basavaraj Bommai, who became the new Chief Minister in Karnataka just two days ago, seems to be embroiled in a new controversy. In fact, Basavaraj Bommai has talked about the construction of Mekadatu Dam in the state as soon as he became the Chief Minister. Due to this, politics in Tamil Nadu got heated to such an extent that Tamil Nadu BJP President K Annamalai has threatened to fast the Basavaraj government despite being from the same party. Tamil Nadu BJP President K Annamalai said that we will fast on 5th August against the Basavaraj government of Karnataka.

Actually Mekedatu Dam is to be constructed in the Cauvery Delta region. This currently remains the biggest dispute for Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. In the Cauvery delta region of Tamil Nadu, farmers and agricultural laborers had protested fiercely against the initiative to build a reservoir on the river Kaveri in Mekedatu, Karnataka in the past.

During this, the protesters also demanded the Modi government to stop the proposed project and appoint a permanent chairman of the Cauvery Water Management Authority. In this movement, the farmers’ organization Tamil Nadu Vivasaigal Sangam of the Communist Party of Marxist and the All India Vivasay Tozhilar Sangam, the agricultural workers’ organization, jointly demonstrated.

In this case, the Tamil Nadu government says that Karnataka should follow the Supreme Court’s order that no obstruction can be allowed in the free flow of the Cauvery river, which is a part of the people living in the delta region. It is the main source of water for the farmers.

Let us inform that the total cost of Mekedatu Dam project is Rs 9,000 crores. This dam project is to store and supply drinking water to other areas of Karnataka including Bangalore. At the same time, a target of about 400 MW of electricity has also been set through this project. It was first approved by the Karnataka State Government in the year 2017. At the same time, the detailed report of the project has already been approved by the Ministry of Water Resources.

Let us tell you that Tamil Nadu is the biggest obstacle in the way of Karnataka’s Mekedatu project. In fact, the Tamil Nadu government filed a petition against this project in the year 2018 against the Supreme Court in New Delhi and challenged the project. Tamil Nadu argues that the Central Water Commission has ignored the court’s order. In an all-party meeting held earlier in this matter, the opposition AIADMK wanted the state government to settle all matters related to Mekedatu dam with contempt of court proceedings.

Continue Reading

Trending